I caught it in time this month! Yay!
So, I will be doing my Fast tomorrow, praying for the preparation of the people and the unveiling of Goddess. I plan to persist in this as long as I can, even if I persist alone. However, I have to modify my fasting method this month.
Without getting into too many details, I'm anemic. I have been for years, and this month has been especially horrific. I put some serious (if very muddled) thought into driving myself down to the hospital for a transfusion. That's a scary thought when you have no insurance. (YAY for pre-existing conditions! I'M NOT WORTH COVERING! /tangent) Anyway, physically abstaining from food right now is a very, very bad idea. My body needs nourishment and not to be taxed beyond its strength, therefore I won't be fasting from food.
Instead, I'll be fasting from Facebook. Possibly my whole computer, but definitely from Facebook.
In all honesty, that will probably be a more useful abstaining practice for getting me closer to deity. I need the time away from such a huge distraction. Food used to be the cultural time taker of a day. Today, for me, it's technology, so that's what I place on the altar for the coming day.
Anyone else ever modify their fasts in like manner?
I think that the whole point of a fast is to exercise control over one's desires and to reorient oneself towards Christ. Whether abstaining from food or technology, or whatever else, it serves the purpose.
ReplyDeletePersonally, I feel quite ill with low blood sugar, so my fasts when I do them tend to either not involve food or be very short.
I have gone on a lot of modified fasts, for example water-only (when breastfeeding with an older child, so I could get by without eating but still needed hydration). I've also eaten the minimum that would sustain me, perhaps bread and water only or something like that.
ReplyDeleteAside from fasting though, I had a very Motherific sacrament meeting today. All the right hymns, the right topics or things mentioned in talks, it's like she was standing there in plain sight...I wonder if anyone else noticed.