Perhaps the Devil replaced the symbol of feminine wisdom in the Eden story because life is a Hell of a lot harder once there's choices to be made.
I hate to say it because I feel a little ungrateful after yesterday's sublime gift of timing, but that was the best I got out of the visiting authorities. Both of their talks last night and this morning were... discouraging and unsettling. I don't feel like going into details, but suffice it to say that if there's a hint of purposeful delaying of marriage and children, or a wife who doesn't follow her husband because he's the patriarch(y) in the household, or if you are an inch less than all on board with supporting only traditional marriage, you've been corrupted by the world and Satan. It was pure Correlation speech, with little to no room for personal revelation, opinion, or need. I think my question about Mother was the only thing either of them talked about that wasn't based primarily in "follow the Prophet/Priesthood, get in line, be good."
Okay, that's all slightly exaggerated because I was so taken aback by how put off I was. Also, they did talk about personal revelation, but it was 99.9% (addressing me being the .1%) to do with their process of receiving revelation about the new Stake President. That's wonderful! I am glad to be assured of the revelatory process in our lay clergy, I truly, honestly am. Nevertheless, I was really encouraged by at least portions of Elder Anderson's talk last Conference when he reaffirmed that decisions of when and how many children to have are between couples and the Lord, secondary to even prophetic advice, and to have the subject hit upon three or four times, while talking about how the men have the Priesthood and leadership responsibilities while women stay home and manage the affairs... it bothers me, anymore. We're not stewards over our husband's property while he's out doing God's work. We are God's work! With our husbands, not in spite of them. Teamwork, not periodic couplehood! Yes, I'm upset about it. Talks like this make me feel like I'm less likely to find a man who will see and treat me as equal to him.
Of course, this was topped off with the obligatory bone-throw to the singles and the childless. "You'll get the blessings eventually." Thank you! I had forgotten about that... that one thing that gives my flat-lined love life/death a hint of purpose. That thing I must cling to if I'm to be a righteous LDS woman. I had forgotten, because it's not ever-present when the subject comes up, and I'm not painfully aware that I'm not a member of the married-with-kids club.
Gragh.
All that said... for once, I was genuinely unimpressed by the words of leadership. For once, I really disagreed and found myself in a Correlation Conundrum. I'm certain this will not be the last time I face this situation. I do like the new Stake Presidency, though, and I'm grateful for the former Presidency. They were really wonderful, and I have high hopes that this new trio will carry the torch of awesome.
To end on a lighter note, I would like to take a moment to brag on my former Stake President. I've known and loved the man for years. He was my Stake Mission Leader when I was a Stake missionary... for three weeks before he was called to be President. I was well acquainted with him before that through my Dad, and I was excited to see him called. Over the years, he and his four counselors (one moved, one died--and he is still deeply missed and lovingly remembered, but that's another story) have done great amounts of good from what I've observed. The President joined an interfaith coalition of local leaders an representatives of many faiths and built bridges and got to know them well. He spoke openly of and acknowledged Heavenly Mother in at least one, possibly two meetings I attended. When he and his wife were interviewed by Elder Oaks when he was called, and Elder Oaks gave him 20 minutes to choose his Counselors, he didn't need the whole time, but most remarkably... he told Elder Oaks that his wife would always be his first Counselor. And she was. Following that line, when he came to the singles ward to conduct the last Bishopric change, he said, speaking of the departing trio and advising the incoming, "The brethren are better prepared when they have the advice of their wives." He has been a great example of equality and honoring women alongside men.
I pray that will continue with our new President and his Counselors, and that it will spread.
Oh Jena, you're speaking my language. For a long time now I've felt some emptiness in what we hear over the pulpit, so much focus on the correlated answers and so little real inspiring messages. Even before my "crisis of faith" I have been painfully aware of how boring so many of the talks and lessons are. But my small advice is try to let those feelings go and not get too critical, because in my case, now that I have given permission to those thoughts of "why so so correlated?", the less fulfilling church services become. Lately I can only seem to enjoy singing (most songs, and I confess to throwing feminine pronouns in now) and partaking of the sacrament. I can only hope that eventually I will move out of this pattern of being critical about talks and lessons, but who knows? And what do you do when the speaker talks about how to avoid the evils in the world and then says something to the effect of "Now women, some things that directly affect you . . . " And then goes on to list some "problems" like abortion, divorce, adultery, immodesty, drugs and alcohol and wanting to work outside of the home. I was so irritated.
ReplyDeleteAnyways, good luck and I love your honest posting!
I haven't found church really enlivening for a long time, at least not much past Sacrament meeting. I do have a couple favorite teachers in SS and RS, but generally... I don't know. It may be my Ward and feeling less connected to it than I used to when I attended FHE and Sports Night--but feeling alone and untalked to sort of put a damper on my enjoyment. I'm pretty over the Singles Ward thing, but right now, it still beats going back to the family ward. I may try attending the city ward. Either way, that started for me loooong before uncorrelatedness. I've actually found myself more interested in Mormonism since going "off-roading" in its back country. I still get enough out of it to continue going, but meetings like that one really get my goat. I do take solace, though, in the feeling that where I am in the direction I'm supposed to be traveling, and that I'm okay. I do feel the need to be careful at times, and rein myself in and reorient and recenter. Sigh, it's just so dang complex anymore, yo.
ReplyDeleteI do want to respect the leadership and be obedient to God. Some would argue that obeying the leadership is obeying God. It's quite a shift for that I don't -always- see it that way anymore. Thanks for being in this weird space with me! I can't wait to see you!